elevation data

Joey Mukherjee joey at phobos.space.swri.edu
Tue May 9 10:07:43 EDT 2000

>I have data for elevation for the Earth and I want to make a surface of
>the Earth where the color of the surface varies with height.  So I have
>points (x,y,z) on a sphere, and to each one is a magnitude (the height
>above the spherical surface).  It seems like there should be a
>straightforward way to do this, but I am having trouble.  Possible my
>misuse of isosurfaces, contouring, elevation filters, etc.

I do this myself by constructing a vtkStructuredGrid with the xyz values.  By
XYZ, I mean cartesian.  I then run a vtkWarpScalar over the values to elevate it
by the scalar.

You may want to post the code used to construct the data set.

>A related question - is it possible in vtk to work in other coordinate
>systems (eg spherical) by some vtk mechanism (ie, not just recomputing
>all my variables into spherical coords).

That sure would be nice, but alas, I don't think so.

Joey

+     Joey Mukherjee                     "Everyone needs a hobby.          +
+      joey at swri.org                      World domination is as good      +
+  http://www.space.swri.edu/~joey        as any other.                    +
"info vtkusers" to the same address.