elevation data

Lawrence R. Frank lfrank at ucsd.edu
Mon May 8 21:03:38 EDT 2000

I am a new vtk user, so I hope this is not a silly question:

I have data for elevation for the Earth and I want to make a surface of
the Earth where the color of the surface varies with height.  So I have
points (x,y,z) on a sphere, and to each one is a magnitude (the height
above the spherical surface).  It seems like there should be a
straightforward way to do this, but I am having trouble.  Possible my
misuse of isosurfaces, contouring, elevation filters, etc.

A related question - is it possible in vtk to work in other coordinate
systems (eg spherical) by some vtk mechanism (ie, not just recomputing
all my variables into spherical coords).

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
L. Frank

lfrank at ucsd.edu