Which graphics card to buy?

David Gobbi dgobbi at irus.rri.on.ca
Thu Mar 30 08:02:52 EST 2000

Hi Dimitri,

Just from the card specs available on the web, the nVidia Quadra beats
the beats the 3DLabs GVX210 by 20% for texture mapping and also has
superior geometry performance.  Plus, the GLoria II is about one third
the price of the Oxygen GVX210!

On the flip side, 3DLabs has a solid track record for professional
graphics.  The 3DLabs GVX210 can drive dual monitors and they have
promised that stereo will be available (is available?).  It is
rumoured that the GLoria II will also support stereo eventually, but
'eventually' means several months hence.

Currently we have an Erazor X (nVidia GeForce) and an obsolete/retired
GLoria XXL (3DLabs GMX2000).  The ErazorX gives amazing performance and
we haven't found any conformance or stability problems with it.  The
GLoria XXL, though it was a 'professional' card, often crashed when
we used it for texture-mapped volume rendering.  Though professional
cards are supposed to have higher-quality drivers, the drivers for
consumer-level cards get much greater testing for stability because
they are aimed for such a huge market.  Professional cards
provide better OpenGL conformance, or so I've heard trustworthy
people say.

My advice is to go for the the GLoria II unless you need dual-head
or stereo.

 - David

  David Gobbi, MSc                    dgobbi at irus.rri.on.ca
  Advanced Imaging Research Group