Which graphics card to buy?

Sebastien Barre barre at sic.sp2mi.univ-poitiers.fr
Thu Mar 30 10:05:38 EST 2000

Hi

>Currently we have an Erazor X (nVidia GeForce)

SDR, DDR ?

>and an obsolete/retired
>GLoria XXL (3DLabs GMX2000).

I've got a PC SGI Visual 320 at work, and a GMX2000 at home. Do you find
the GMX obsolete ? It's still alright, but definitely too expensive.

>The ErazorX gives amazing performance and
>we haven't found any conformance or stability problems with it.

Is the GeForce so good ? That would be a good news, I knew it was a killer
game-card, but not as good as high-end OpenGL graphics card. There is a
geometry engine in the GeForce, but I thought the one (or two MX ?) on the
GMX was really good. Have a look at :

http://www-sop.inria.fr/caiman/personnel/Robert.Riviere/vtk/sphere-bench/res
ults.php3?famille=W&flats=1&flat=1&strip=1&transp=1&wire=1&txt=1&txtp=1

The GMX seems much better at triangle strips. And it has more RAM (96).

>  The
>GLoria XXL, though it was a 'professional' card, often crashed when
>we used it for texture-mapped volume rendering.

What kind of crashes ? Blue screen ? Computer hanging ?

>Though professional
>cards are supposed to have higher-quality drivers, the drivers for
>consumer-level cards get much greater testing for stability because
>they are aimed for such a huge market.

True, but as they are targeted to games, they often implement only a subset
of OpenGL. A really good ICD is hard to find.

>My advice is to go for the the GLoria II unless you need dual-head
>or stereo.

My advice too, unless you are going to manipulate hundreds of thousands
polygons (> 100 K).

Anyway Dimitri, as soon as you get your card, feel free to send us your
benchmark results :
http://www.hds.utc.fr/~barre/vtk/sphere-bench.html

Thanks

--
Sebastien BARRE
IRCOM-SIC, UMR-CNRS 6615 - Université de Poitiers