[vtkusers] libVTKPatentedPython error

David Gobbi dgobbi at irus.rri.on.ca
Wed Aug 2 18:40:49 EDT 2000

On Wed, 2 Aug 2000, Mike Renfro wrote:

> This is on a build from today's sources from CVS. I configured with
> "./configure --with-mesa --with-tcl --with-shared --with-contrib
> --with-patented --with-python", did the make and make install.
>
> The only errors in the make install were that some of the python libs
> (vtkTkImageViewerWidget, vtkTkImageWindowWidget, vtkTkRenderWidget) to
> be installed hadn't been built. I added each of those entries to the
> dependencies for vtkpython{$SHLIB_SUFFIX} and it went through.

You have to add --with-tkwidget to build these.

> After I installed, I tried to run mcubes.py, but it didn't work:
>
> # python mcubes.py
> Traceback (innermost last):
>   File "mcubes.py", line 10, in ?
>     from libVTKPatentedPython import *
> ImportError: /usr/local/lib/libVTKPatentedPython.so: undefined symbol:
> vtkVolumeReader_Typecast__FPvPc
>
> deciHawa.py fails as well with a similar error, and I haven't tried
> others that use the patented libraries. Python files that don't use
> the patented libraries work fine. Did I do something wrong somewhere?

These problems can usually be fixed by forcing the python wrappers to
be re-built (clearly the problems shouldn't happen at all, but the
dependencies in the makefiles must not be set up quite right).

To re-build the python wrappers:
./configure ....
touch wrap/vtkWrapPython.c
make
[find something else to do for half an hour or so]

  -David

  David Gobbi, MSc                    dgobbi at irus.rri.on.ca
  Advanced Imaging Research Group