[vtkusers] libVTKPatentedPython error

Mike Renfro renfro at tntech.edu
Fri Aug 4 11:57:39 EDT 2000

On Wed, Aug 02, 2000 at 06:40:49PM -0400, David Gobbi wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Aug 2000, Mike Renfro wrote:
> > After I installed, I tried to run mcubes.py, but it didn't work:
> >
> > # python mcubes.py
> > Traceback (innermost last):
> >   File "mcubes.py", line 10, in ?
> >     from libVTKPatentedPython import *
> > ImportError: /usr/local/lib/libVTKPatentedPython.so: undefined symbol:
> > vtkVolumeReader_Typecast__FPvPc
>
> These problems can usually be fixed by forcing the python wrappers to
> be re-built (clearly the problems shouldn't happen at all, but the
> dependencies in the makefiles must not be set up quite right).

Done. Still doesn't work. The script I built to run each morning when
I come in is as follows:

cd /usr/local/src/vtk
cvs -d \
    :pserver:anonymous at www.visualizationtoolkit.org:/vtk/cvsroot update

./configure --with-mesa --with-tcl --with-shared --with-contrib \
    --with-patented --with-python --with-tkwidget
touch wrap/vtkWrapPython.c
make
make install

Same errors happen. This is with Python 1.5.2, tcl and tk 8.0.5, gcc
2.95.2, and libc6 2.1.3 (standard Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 system). Am I
going to have to work in C++ or tcl in order to use the decimate
functions?

--
Mike Renfro  / R&D Engineer, Center for Manufacturing Research,
931 372-3601 / Tennessee Technological University -- renfro at tntech.edu