Q: Iconifying a vtkXRenderWindow under XWindows ???

Audrius Stundzia adv_biologic at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 24 10:49:15 EST 1999

<x-flowed>Hi fellow vtker's

I'd greatly appreciate some help from the XWindows guru's amongst us
on how to iconify and de-iconfify an XWindow in the context of vtk.

Following the vtk user's manual I have the following:

   int    nCLArguements = 0;      // C main stuff
   int   *argc = &nCLArguements;
   char **argv;

   XtSetLanguageProc( NULL
                    , NULL
                    , NULL );

   topLevel = XtVaAppInitialize( &context
                               , "Stuff 1.1"
                               , NULL
                               , 0
                               , argc
                               , argv
                               , NULL
                               , NULL );

   display = XtDisplay( topLevel);

X events are processed in the following loop:

   pending = XtAppPending( context);

   if (pending > 0)
   {
      XtAppNextEvent(  context
                    , &event );

      XtDispatchEvent( &event);
   }

(I have my reasons :)

I create a vtk rendering window

    vtkXRenderWindow firstWindow = vtkXRenderWindow::New();

and after doing lots of vtk stuff I call

    firstWindow->Render();

Again, my question is how can I iconify and de-iconify this
(and any other) window?

>From the XWindows faqs and newsgroups I know I should use

XIconifyWindow(...) (to iconify)

and

XMapWindow(...)     (to de-iconfify)

But exactly HOW exceeds my rather modest knowledge of XWindows programming.
My attempts so far have been less than satisfying :(

Again, any help (especially sample code in the above vtk context) would be
most appreciated.

Regards,

Audrius