OpenGL problems on Sun Sparc

Simon Warfield warfield at bwh.harvard.edu
Fri Jun 25 08:45:24 EDT 1999

> I have used vtk on Windows NT machine for some weeks now, without any
> problems. But I also tried to run it on a Sun Sparc Ultra-5_10, with a
> Solid Impact graphics board, running SunOs 5.5.1.
>[snip]
> I thought: no problem, I will use OpenGL, which is also supported
> (according to configure). But then I get: ERROR in
> vtkOpenGLRenderWindow.cxx (line 146): Could not find a decent visual.
> This is the same error I've seen with other application using OpenGL. It
> seems to me that the system pretents to support OpenGL, but if you try
> to use it, it freaks.

 We don't have this problem with OpenGL on our Sun Ultra10s with Creator3D and
Elite3D graphics cards.  Who makes the Solid Impact graphics boards ?  Who
makes the X server and OpenGL for Solaris that accelerates them ?

If you use Sun graphics hardware and Sun OpenGL you can test your
configuration by running
/usr/openwin/demo/GL/ogl_install_check

You can configure the Sun X server to have the default visual be a 24 bit
deep TrueColor visual.  This involves copying /usr/dt/config/Xservers to
/etc/dt/config/Xservers, modifying the parameters to the Xserver to read
something like
   :0   Local local_uid at console root /usr/openwin/bin/Xsun :0 -nobanner -dev /dev/fb defclass TrueColor defdepth 24
and restarting the X server (reboot).

> Now, my question is: can this be solved by using the MESA OpenGL
> package, or do I have to buy another graphics card, or maybe patches, or

Mesa is easy to try, but it is not hardware accelerated at the moment.

--
Simon