Use of Tcl 8.1 and/or Tcl extentions such as blt or itcl with vtk

Roland Schwarz roland.schwarz at telecom.at
Fri Jun 11 08:15:20 EDT 1999

Hello,
  I just managed to recompile vtk for tcl/tk8.1 on the windows platform.
If this is what you need I have some hints for you:

  I used:
   vtk nightly from 9.June.1999
   tcl/tk8.1 binary and source distributions
   VC++ 6.0

  What I did:
    Installed the tcl, tk 8.1 source and tcl_tk binary distribution, (check
include box!)
    installed the vtl source distribution.
    Used pcmaker to create the vtkbin tree structure and makefiles for
    visual c++. Do *not* fill in the fields for advanced options! Check
    Tcl checkbox.

    Edited the makefile located in .....\vtkbin\vtktcl to read as following:

CPP_PROJ=/D "STRICT" /nologo /MD /O2 /I "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual
Studio\VC98\include" /I "G:\usr\src\vtk\common" /I "G:\usr\src\vtk\graphics"
/I "G:\usr\src\vtk\imaging" /D "NDEBUG" /D "WIN32" /D "_WINDOWS" \
 /I "C:\Program Files\Tcl\include" /I "C:\Program Files\Tcl\include\X11" /D
"VTK_USE_PATENTED" /I "G:\usr\src\vtk\patented" \
 /D "VTK_USE_CONTRIB" /I "G:\usr\src\vtk\contrib" \
 /D "_WINDLL" /D "_MBCS" \
 /Fo$(OUTDIR)\ /c

  Cause: the include path is set to library files that reference tcl8.0
files that are bundled
  with pcmaker. Instead of C:\Program Files\Tcl  use YOUR actual path to
tcl8.1.

    Edited the makefile located in .....\vtkbin\vtktcl to read as following:

LINK32_FLAGS="$(OUTDIR)\vtktcl.obj" /libpath:"C:\Program Files\Microsoft
Visual Studio\VC98\lib" "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual
Studio\VC98\lib\gdi32.lib" "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual
Studio\VC98\lib\user32.lib" /nologo /version:1.3 /subsystem:windows
"c:\Program Files\Tcl\lib\tk81.lib" "c:\Program Files\Tcl\lib\tcl81.lib"

    Cause: reference the tk81.lib and tcl81.lib files of your 8.1 binary
distribution.

    Copied missing include files from tcl and tk source tree to include
directory
    of  binary distribution:
      [X11]
      tcl.h
      tclDecls.h
      tclInt.h
      tclIntDecls.h
      tk.h
      tkDecls.h
      tkInt.h
      tkIntDecls.h
      tkIntPlatDecls.h
      tkIntXlibDecls.h
      tkPlatDecls.h
      tkPort.h
      tkWin.h
      tkWinInt.h
      tkWinPort.h

    Opened a command shell (do not forget to call VCVARS.BAT to set up the
compiler
    command line environment.)

    Change to directory .....\vtkbin\vtkdll and nmake,
    Change to directory .....\vtkbin\vtktcl and nmake.

    Comment: obey the above order of nmakes since the makefile located in
.....\vtkbin did
    not yield the desired results.

    Your dll's and stub lib's are located in ....\vtkbin\vtkdll and
....\vtkbin\vtktcl.

    Copy them to the windows\system (Win98) or windows\system32 (NT4.0)
directories
    and you are done.

    I hope I did not forget anything :) -- good luck.

Roland Schwarz