[vtk-developers] [ANNOUNCE] New module system landing

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 13:24:48 EST 2019

On Wed, Jan 2, 2019 at 12:24 PM Ben Boeckel via vtk-developers <
vtk-developers at vtk.org> wrote:

>       - Values are no longer boolean, but instead 5-state:
>         * `YES`: Must be built
>         * `NO`: Must not be built (turns off modules requiring it;
>           errors if required by a `YES` module)
>         * `WANT`: Build if possible
>         * `DONT_WANT`: Build only if necessary
>         * `DEFAULT`: Use group (for modules) and `VTK_BUILD_ALL_MODULES`
>           instead

Out of curiosity, why "YES/NO" instead of "ON/OFF"?  Years of editing cmake
cache files has programmed ON/OFF into my fingertips, so I always end up
turning a module "ON" only to have it not be built.

Could cmake at least raise a warning/error if one of the allowed values is
not
used?  Of course I'd prefer retiring YES/NO in favor of ON/OFF but I don't
know if that's feasible at this point.

   David