[vtk-developers] [ANNOUNCE] New module system landing

Ben Boeckel ben.boeckel at kitware.com
Fri Feb 1 13:58:37 EST 2019

On Fri, Feb 01, 2019 at 11:24:48 -0700, David Gobbi wrote:
> Out of curiosity, why "YES/NO" instead of "ON/OFF"?  Years of editing cmake
> cache files has programmed ON/OFF into my fingertips, so I always end up
> turning a module "ON" only to have it not be built.
>
> Could cmake at least raise a warning/error if one of the allowed values is
> not
> used?  Of course I'd prefer retiring YES/NO in favor of ON/OFF but I don't
> know if that's feasible at this point.

Migration can be done. Alternatively, support for reading `ON` and `OFF`
literals as `YES` and `NO` could also be done (probably easiest in the
verification function for these options). It was partially done to get
away from the default verbiage of `option` which uses `ON/OFF` since it
isn't really a CMake boolean.

--Ben