[vtk-developers] Python Wrapping fails in master build.

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 00:22:56 EDT 2018

Hi Andras, it's good to hear that someone else has seen problems similar to
what Andrew is seeing.

On Tue, Sep 25, 2018 at 7:37 PM Andras Lasso <lasso at queensu.ca> wrote:

> It is probably worth asking CMake developers about what could be a good
> approach to address this.

Brad, have there been any new discoveries about why compiler tests and
custom-command outputs fail to open their output files on Windows as
described in this cmake issue? (https://cmake.org/Bug/view.php?id=12957).
This is something that Andrew is seeing on his machine, that I haven't been
able to reproduce on my own machine yet.

Retrying a file operation can have many non-trivial side effects so it
> should be avoided. As far as I know, there is no such workaround anywhere
> in CMake, so it should be possible to avoid it in vtkWrapPython, too.

This isn't always true.  On Linux when fread fails with errno=EINTR,
retrying is the correct response, and there are a few places where this is
done in the CMake code base.  The errno=EINTR condition is very short
lived.  It would be nice if the failure on Windows was something similar
(i.e. instantly retryable) but I suspect it isn't.  I strongly suspect the
failure is a sharing violation, for which the correct response is usually
to write to a different file (which is not ideal).

  David