[vtk-developers] VTK and QT5

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Thu Jan 19 10:46:04 EST 2017

On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 10:08 AM, Geoff Wright <gpwright at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> While moving VTK onto Qt 5 by default, it would be great to consider
> integration with QQuickFramebufferObject so that it can be easily used in a
> modern Qml application.  This approach has several advantages.  It can allow
> for multi-threaded OpenGL with several VTK pipelines each linked to a
> different QML Item and each refreshing on its own thread, to textures that
> are then drawn on the "qml thread" (which is different from the Qt main
> thread).  This can allow for very flexible use of VTK in high performance
> real time applications.
>
> I've been using VTK via this approach for several years with Qt 5.6 in an
> application where the UI is written in Qml rather than C++.  I haven't been
> able to submit these changes back to VTK but the approach I'm using is the
> same as what is described here:
> https://gist.github.com/nocnokneo/c3fb01bb7ecaf437f7d6
>
> If anyone is interested in integrating this into VTK I would be happy to
> provide further info.  My codebase is sadly not open source licensed but I
> can describe the approach I'm using in more detail.

That sounds nice, I wouldn't tie our move to Qt 5 as the default to
adding support for this, but it would be a great addition. I don't
have any current work with QML, but if anyone was interested in
working on this I would try to help with reviews and testing. The
QVTKWidget2 attempted some integration with QML as I remember it, but
it does not work with Qt 5. Thanks for the link to the gist.