[vtk-developers] VTK and QT5

Geoff Wright gpwright at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 10:08:06 EST 2017

Hi all,

While moving VTK onto Qt 5 by default, it would be great to consider
integration with QQuickFramebufferObject so that it can be easily used in a
modern Qml application.  This approach has several advantages.  It can
allow for multi-threaded OpenGL with several VTK pipelines each linked to a
different QML Item and each refreshing on its own thread, to textures that
are then drawn on the "qml thread" (which is different from the Qt main
thread).  This can allow for very flexible use of VTK in high performance
real time applications.

I've been using VTK via this approach for several years with Qt 5.6 in an
application where the UI is written in Qml rather than C++.  I haven't been
able to submit these changes back to VTK but the approach I'm using is the
same as what is described here:
https://gist.github.com/nocnokneo/c3fb01bb7ecaf437f7d6

If anyone is interested in integrating this into VTK I would be happy to
provide further info.  My codebase is sadly not open source licensed but I
can describe the approach I'm using in more detail.

Regards,
Geoff