[vtk-developers] Dashboard

Ben Boeckel ben.boeckel at kitware.com
Wed Jan 4 16:49:21 EST 2017

On Tue, Jan 03, 2017 at 16:47:54 -0500, Sean McBride wrote:
> There are instances where building against an older SDK is
> preferable/necessary, and I lament that Apple no longer includes the

Qt4 doesn't compile against 10.10 (though I have patches which have made
it possible before, 10.9 has been the most reliable). I think a patch
release was made for 10.11 (which we never updated to use), but I doubt
10.12 will get one at this point.

> If you really need/want to build against an older SDK, then you can:
>  1) hack Xcode, and risk any incompatibilities/bugs that ensue.

Xcode is starting to reject older SDKs. I think that using an 10.8 SDK
with Xcode 8 errors out before compilation even starts now. I think we
can expect Apple to be more aggressive about rejecting older SDKs in the
future.

>  2) use an older Xcode, which may also mean using an older macOS. This
>  is where having a collection of buildbots/VMs comes in very handy.

Yep, older Xcodes are starting to get marked that they "don't support"
newer versions of macOS.

--Ben