[vtk-developers] Dashboard

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Tue Jan 3 16:47:54 EST 2017

On Tue, 3 Jan 2017 16:23:29 -0500, Alexis Girault said:

>I've been confronted to this kind of XCode/SDK version issues, and even
>though I did not dig up much, I found this post which encouraged using the
>SDK of the same version that the deployment target, so I went with it and
>it worked well for me: http://stackoverflow.com/a/15092753

There are instances where building against an older SDK is preferable/necessary, and I lament that Apple no longer includes the last few SDKs in Xcode (instead only including the newest SDK).  But for 99% of the time, using the newest SDK is all you need.  Regardless of the SDK version you need, you should always be setting the deployment version to the oldest OS version you want to support at runtime.

If you really need/want to build against an older SDK, then you can:
 1) hack Xcode, and risk any incompatibilities/bugs that ensue.
 2) use an older Xcode, which may also mean using an older macOS. This is where having a collection of buildbots/VMs comes in very handy.

>I listed which SDKs ships with each XCode as well as official download
>links in this google doc:
>https://docs.google.com/a/kitware.com/spreadsheets/d/
>16UBOr7wXHIqe4mxDXRSFVkJB2xzSw1Bba0VQjbHzSlU/edit?usp=sharing

Seems to require a google login.  The wikipedia Xcode article also lists SDK versions included, example:

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xcode#Xcode_5.0_-_6.x_.28since_arm64_support.29>

Cheers,

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com