[vtk-developers] Scripts for reformatting

Haocheng Liu haocheng.liu at kitware.com
Mon Feb 6 11:02:42 EST 2017

excerpt From Shawn's email:

Hi all,

The branch to switch to clang-format was just merged.

For those creating a new branch, you can use the script in
Utilities/Scripts/clang-format.bash to apply formatting before you commit
your changes.  You will need to have clang-format 3.8 or higher installed.

If you have any outstanding branches they will need to be rebased across
the transition.  The process to do this is:
1) Rebase your work on the empty commit prior to the transition (
609f2afcd5e2f963e4fe36203b08d2ebfc0476f9).  This will require you to fix
any changes that conflict with the doxygen style comment update.  ParaView
switched to /** style doxygen comments like VTK did last month.
2) Run `git filter-branch --tree-filter 'Utilties/Scripts/clang-format.bash
--tracked' 609f2afcd5e2f963e4fe36203b08d2ebfc0476f9~..HEAD`  This will
rewrite each commit from the empty commit to the top of your branch to have
the new format.  The empty commit's rewrite will become equivalent to the
convert-to-clang-format commit.
3) Run `git rebase b41d27999a4ac854f4a0e61d98d09c53e7583a60` to rebase your
branch onto the commit where the clang-format changes were merged.  The
"empty commit" should go away since all of its changes were applied by the
'apply clang-format' commit and only the rewritten commits in your branch
should remain.

That will get your branch rebased across the style transition.  You can
then rebase it on master or put it up for review if there are no further
conflicts.

Hope it helps.

On Mon, Feb 6, 2017 at 10:44 AM, Biddiscombe, John A. <biddisco at cscs.ch>
wrote:

> Apologies for duplicate posts, might have sent this twice by mistake
>

> Dear list,
>

> I have many branches of VTK development that go back some years and have
> not been well maintained recently. I tried updating some of my code over
> the weekend and have thousands of conflicts due to the reformatting of VTK
> to change the indentation and some other mass changes.
>

> Is there a wiki entry anywhere that can help me run some reformat scripts
> on my branches to minimize some of the conflicts I’m getting.
>

> Many thanks
>

> JB
>

> --
>
> John Biddiscombe,                        email:biddisco @.at.@ cscs.ch
>
> http://www.cscs.ch/
>
> CSCS, Swiss National Supercomputing Centre  | Tel:  +41 (91) 610.82.07
> <+41%2091%20610%2082%2007>
>
> Via Trevano 131, 6900 Lugano, Switzerland   | Fax:  +41 (91) 610.82.82
> <+41%2091%20610%2082%2082>

Best regards
Haocheng

Haocheng LIU