[vtk-developers] Merging of new rendering branch to VTK

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Fri Jun 20 10:59:07 EDT 2014

Hi John,

The default will remain the existing painters/mappers and you can
continue to use them. I will work on adding documentation but it is
sparse at this stage. What I merged is a first-pass implementation
where I am sure further changes will be necessary (we know of several
missing features). At the high level they do not use/implement any of
the painter API, but the painter API in Rendering/Core remains
untouched - we do not intend to add the painter API to these mappers.
They implement many of the classes in Rendering/Core, and use the same
object factory override mechanism. You could port the mapper API you
need into your own custom mapper, and even look at remote modules that
we will work on adding soon.

We have not addressed extension of the mappers, and so it would be
premature to attempt it. We will get to that, and part of the
motivation of merging this branch is to start merging more frequently
and benefit from wider testing. I will be working towards getting
ParaView to build against the new rendering backend, but that is not
yet possible as several of the rendering modules it uses have hard
dependencies on the existing Rendering/OpenGL module.

I hope that makes things a little clearer, and I will work on adding
some documentation as things stabilize. The way in which we render
most geometry has changed in quite significant ways in order to take
advantage of modern OpenGL APIs in efficient ways

Thanks,

Marcus