[vtk-developers] Ninja-based CDash at home client?

David Cole dlrdave at aol.com
Wed Mar 27 11:16:33 EDT 2013

Well it seemed to work for the past week until 2 days ago. If you look
at this build history in this filtered view, and sort by "Build Time":

http://open.cdash.org/index.php?project=VTK&filtercount=3&showfilters=1&filtercombine=and&field1=buildname/string&compare1=61&value1=Win32-ninja-Release&field2=buildstarttime/date&compare2=83&value2=2013-03-17&field3=buildstarttime/date&compare3=84&value3=now

...you can see that I turned python on the day it started having "222"
warnings and 462 more tests started running. It built just fine for 5
days in a row, and then, for the last 2 days, has yielded this new
error.

I suppose it's possible that it built properly by luck 5 times in a
row, and then not a single time since 2 days ago... but it seems
unlikely to me.

I don't think there's anything wrong with parallel builds and custom
commands in general with CMake 2.8.11-rc1 and the ninja generator, but
if there is, I'd be willing to help track it down and get it fixed. I
rather suspect there is a stray dependency or two either mis-expressed
or just missing from the VTK custom commands.

I guess a nightly submission will suffice, rather than having a
CDash at home with wrapping turned on. It's just a lot more detective work
to figure out what change broke it when something does go wrong. The
CDash at home approach pinpoints the problem immediately to a specific
topic.

My nightly submissions from mirkwood are busted today. Could whoever
broke it please make it work again...? :-)

thx,
David C.

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 7:44 AM, David Cole <dlrdave at aol.com> wrote:
> The dashboards from mirkwood this morning would argue for us adding a
> ninja-based CDash at home + python wrapped client. There's something
about the
> wrapping hierarchy custom command rules that's not working in a ninja
> parallel build... Probably just a missing dependency, but this issue
could
> have been caught at an earlier stage if we had python wrapping turned
on
> with a ninja build system on one of the CDash at home clients.

As far as I am aware this has never worked, I have tried it a couple
of times but the Ninja generator was very new. If you type ninja
enough times then it works, but this has been present since the ninja
generator was added to the best of my knowledge.

> Can somebody set one up like that?

The wrapper code really doesn't change that much either, so it seems
like overkill adding a CDash at Home client. I think someone would need
to volunteer to fix it, and if they did why wouldn't a nightly
submission suffice?

The ninja generator still seems to have a few rough edges, although I
would love to get the wrapping working so that I can use it for more
projects. Another major flaw is the lack of support for Fortran, which
is needed in several projects and is pretty frustrating.

My $0.03...

Marcus