[vtk-developers] Module Interface Files

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 11:55:04 EDT 2013

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 8:43 AM, Marcus D. Hanwell
<marcus.hanwell at kitware.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 9:44 AM, Brad King <brad.king at kitware.com> wrote:
>> On 03/13/2013 06:33 PM, David Gobbi wrote:
>>> So would it be possible to rename vtkCommonCore-Classes to
>>> vtkCommonCore-Files and have it list all the exported header files?
>>
>> Sure, so long as all existing consumers of -Classes are okay with
>> the name change.  Technically we haven't release VTK 6 yet anyway.
>> IMO -Headers would be better than -Files.
>
> We agreed on -Headers in the other thread, and I think that would be
> more appropriate too (I will have some time to complete these changes
> today/tomorrow).

Yes, I also agree that -Headers is better than -Files.  If we ever need to
export anything else then a separate file called e.g. -Resources could be
used.  Not that I see any need for that now, though.

>>> Header files like the above could be identified by a property that is
>>> set in the file:
>>>
>>> set(vtkCommonCore_FILE_vtkType_DEVELOPMENT_HEADER 1)
>>
>> Yes, the other info like ABSTRACT, WRAP_EXCLUDE, and WRAP_SPECIAL
>> is currently set with similar marks.
>
> What would DEVELOPMENT_HEADER or DEVHEADER be used for? What other
> files are you thinking of that are not headers/part of our API?

I'm only thinking of header files, specifically ones like vtkType.h.
I need external cmake projects e.g. automatic documentation generators
to be able to find them, but they don't have to be identified as anything
in particular, they just have to be listed.

If they are present and marked WRAP_EXCLUDE that would be fine.

Thanks for your comments.

 - David