[vtk-developers] Module Interface Files

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Thu Mar 14 10:43:29 EDT 2013

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 9:44 AM, Brad King <brad.king at kitware.com> wrote:
> On 03/13/2013 06:33 PM, David Gobbi wrote:
>> So would it be possible to rename vtkCommonCore-Classes to
>> vtkCommonCore-Files and have it list all the exported header files?
>
> Sure, so long as all existing consumers of -Classes are okay with
> the name change.  Technically we haven't release VTK 6 yet anyway.
> IMO -Headers would be better than -Files.

We agreed on -Headers in the other thread, and I think that would be
more appropriate too (I will have some time to complete these changes
today/tomorrow).

>> Header files like the above could be identified by a property that is
>> set in the file:
>>
>> set(vtkCommonCore_FILE_vtkType_DEVELOPMENT_HEADER 1)
>
> Yes, the other info like ABSTRACT, WRAP_EXCLUDE, and WRAP_SPECIAL
> is currently set with similar marks.

What would DEVELOPMENT_HEADER or DEVHEADER be used for? What other
files are you thinking of that are not headers/part of our API?

>> Also, is there a reason why vtkCommonCore-Classes.cmake and
>> vtkCommonCore.cmake are two separate files?  Is it for efficiency?
>
> Yes.  Also the -Classes isn't loaded by default.  One must invoke
> vtk_module_classes_load to get the list.  The basic module files
> need to be very lightweight because they are loaded in a lot of
> places.  In an early prototype I had lots more information in them
> and it make VTK take *minutes* to configure even after the first
> run.

Yes, we really don't want to change this. If anything, we want to look
at ways to make it more efficient.

Marcus