[vtk-developers] Module Interface Files

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Thu Mar 14 09:44:44 EDT 2013

On 03/13/2013 06:33 PM, David Gobbi wrote:
> So would it be possible to rename vtkCommonCore-Classes to
> vtkCommonCore-Files and have it list all the exported header files?

Sure, so long as all existing consumers of -Classes are okay with
the name change.  Technically we haven't release VTK 6 yet anyway.
IMO -Headers would be better than -Files.

> Header files like the above could be identified by a property that is
> set in the file:
>
> set(vtkCommonCore_FILE_vtkType_DEVELOPMENT_HEADER 1)

Yes, the other info like ABSTRACT, WRAP_EXCLUDE, and WRAP_SPECIAL
is currently set with similar marks.

> Also, is there a reason why vtkCommonCore-Classes.cmake and
> vtkCommonCore.cmake are two separate files?  Is it for efficiency?

Yes.  Also the -Classes isn't loaded by default.  One must invoke
vtk_module_classes_load to get the list.  The basic module files
need to be very lightweight because they are loaded in a lot of
places.  In an early prototype I had lots more information in them
and it make VTK take *minutes* to configure even after the first
run.

-Brad