[vtk-developers] Module Interface Files

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Wed Mar 13 18:33:38 EDT 2013

Hi Folks,

I was discussing this with Marcus with regards to his improvements
to the way that python wrapping works with modules, but I thought it
might be worth bringing up on the list.

VTK exports "module interface files" like vtkCommonCore.cmake
and vtkCommonCore-Classes.cmake for external (and internal) use.
The -Classes.cmake file lists only the classes, and I think this is
insufficient because the module interface includes more than just
classes.  It also includes header files such as the following:

  vtkSystemIncludes.h
  vtkMathConfigure.h
  vtkConfigure.h
  vtkVersionMacros.h
  vtkType.h
  vtkCellType.h

So would it be possible to rename vtkCommonCore-Classes to
vtkCommonCore-Files and have it list all the exported header files?
Header files like the above could be identified by a property that is
set in the file:

set(vtkCommonCore_FILE_vtkType_DEVELOPMENT_HEADER 1)

I'd also be fine with DEVHEADER as the property or even with them
just being marked as WRAP_EXCLUDE.  All I need is a mechanism
so that cmake can pick them up in external projects.

Also, is there a reason why vtkCommonCore-Classes.cmake and
vtkCommonCore.cmake are two separate files?  Is it for efficiency?

 - David