[vtk-developers] Backport for VTK 5.10.2

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 13:05:11 EST 2013

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 9:07 PM, Andrew Maclean
<andrew.amaclean at gmail.com> wrote:
> I agree with you David. There will be a lot of maintenance issues including
> allocating resources for support if you go down the track of supporting
> different versions of VTK.

It seem that Jean-Christophe is talking about just a handful of
patches so that people can keep their current VTK 5 apps on life
support for a year or two while they work towards VTK 6.  It's not as
if people can do the switch overnight... it takes time, and people
need a workable solution in the interim (something more than just
"make sure it compiles".)  It's very common to have a short period of
parallel maintenance after a major version change.  I was dismayed
(even a bit shocked) when the VTK 5 branch was closed before VTK 6 was
even released.

I'm willing to help in backporting and reviewing patches, just as I
have done for so many other maintenance release of VTK, but it's kind
of pointless when the gatekeepers are going to block anything from
going in.

  David