[vtk-developers] Minimum Python requirement

Ben Boeckel ben.boeckel at kitware.com
Tue Dec 10 16:55:32 EST 2013

Hi,

I've been doing some work in the Python bindings for VTK recently and
one branch[1] has added __eq__ and __ne__ operators to VTK objects in
Python to explicitly encode the semantics of vtkObj1 == vtkObj2 (rather
than relying on the cache to give the same object back for the same
vtkObject*).

The issue is that Py_RETURN_TRUE and Py_RETURN_FALSE are only in Python
2.4 and although the replacement code is minimal, it has brought up the
issue that there are no dashboards running Python 2.3. So the question
is whether anyone cares about 2.3 at all.

The only distributions I've seen which don't have at least Python 2.4
are either EOL (RHEL 4, SLED 9, Slackware 10), have newer vesions
available (ActiveState's ActivePython for Solaris, AIX, and HP-UX), or
are far beyond even 2.4 (Debian, Gentoo, FreeBSD, OS X). Windows has
manual Python management anyways, so I don't think that would be an
issue.

So is bumping the minimum version to 2.4 reasonable? If not, is anyone
willing to host a dashboard with 2.3 to help keep it working?

Thanks,

--Ben

[1]http://review.source.kitware.com/#/t/3695/