[vtk-developers] changing behavior of vtkGradientFilter

Andy Bauer andy.bauer at kitware.com
Fri Aug 10 14:17:00 EDT 2012

Hi,

I want to change the current behavior of vtkGradientFilter. Currently it
has options to compute vorticity and compute Q criterion. If the option to
compute vorticity is set on/true then the output is the vorticity instead
of the gradient of the field and the name of the outputted field is the
specified result array name ("Gradients" by default). If the option to
compute Q criterion is set on/true then the Q criterion is computed in
addition to computing the gradient or the vorticity of the field and the
name of this field is Q-criterion. There have been a couple of questions on
the ParaView mailing list in that this is rather confusing and I'm guessing
it's probably a bit confusing for the filter itself.

The changes I'd like to make is to have vorticity computed in addition the
the gradient and output that as a separate field such that it would work
similar to the Q criterion option. Then I'd like to add in the option to
name both the vorticity field and Q criterion fields as well. They would
have default values of "Vorticity" and "Q-criterion".

Any objections on this?

Thanks,
Andy