[vtk-developers] VTK classes useful for meshless methods visualization

Michel Audette michel.audette at kitware.com
Thu Mar 24 18:58:42 EDT 2011

Hi Arnaud,

thanks for your kind reply.

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 3:37 PM, Gelas, Arnaud Joel Florent <
Arnaud_Gelas at hms.harvard.edu> wrote:

> Dear Michel,
>
> If I understood what you meant is that you work in 3D and you want to
> represent the interface of an implicit function represented by CSRBF where
> coefficients evolve based on some PDE ?

yes, that's an apt description. I had not thought it through in these terms,
but I think that we can formulate the "resectedness" (or rather tissue
destruction) implicitly. That's actually cooler than what I first had in
mind. :-)

> "The most effective way" is then to sample your implicit function on a grid
> (size of the grid should depends on the separation and fill distance; make
> sure to use a kd-tree for the evaluation of the implicit function it really
> speeds up the process), and then use the Marching Cubes to generate the
> mesh. Note that you could also use this for moving least squares technique.

sounds reasonable. I wonder if there is an example in VTK for this kind of
meshing.

> If your point remains next to the interface, and the sampling is not too
> bad you can consider some approximation that are not (to my knowledge) yet
> in vtk.

I'd be open to other suggestions, particularly if these could be added to
VTK readily.

> I can give you some more tips/advices but it fairly depends on the problem
> you have and the way you want to solve it.

Feel free to email me offline with these. I'll tell you a bit more about the
project.

Cheers,

Michel

--