[vtk-developers] Testing guidelines

David Doria daviddoria+vtk at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 10:57:06 EDT 2010

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 10:53 AM, Moreland, Kenneth <kmorel at sandia.gov>wrote:

>  I’m one of those that gets annoyed with a bunch of tests named
> TestFeature because, as Marcus said, it’s redundant and is tiresome to
> manage.  In addition to having to type more at the command line, you get
> other irritating features like having all the tests grouped together on the
> dashboard rather than divided in alphabetic sections.
>
> It occurs to me, though, that what Bill and David (and even Marcus) have
> advocated is that the *source code* be named TestFeature.cxx, whereas
> Marcus and I have advocated that the *test* be named Feature.  Thus, we
> should be able to have both.  Why not make the convention to name the source
> code starting with Test and then have some CMake commands to strip off the
> Test part for the actual name of the test?
>
> -Ken

Sounds OK to me. I have added a question here:
http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/TestingGuidelines

about when to use a "test prefix" (for lack of a real term).

e.g.
CREATE_TEST_SOURCELIST([name]Tests ArrayCxxTests.cxx

show up in ctest as
Start 33: [name]-TestArrayBool

This could be another solution to your alphabetization problem?

David