[vtk-developers] vtkstd - do we still need it?

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Sat Aug 21 15:47:36 EDT 2010

Hi,

This was raised previously, and no consensus seemed to be formed. I would
like to ask the question again, is there any need for us to continue using
vtkstd as a namespace, and including vtkstd/vector etc? As far as I am
aware, any requirement to keep this was lost when we deprecated ancient
compilers that did not have a full STL implementation.

If we in fact do not require it, can we relax any commit hooks that are
still in place, begin using the STL headers directly and phase out the
vtkstd namespace in favor of using std directly? It would be good to aim to
have it phased out by VTK 6.0, along with some of the other legacy and
compatibility code I think is already on its way out.

Thanks,

Marcus
--
Marcus D. Hanwell, Ph.D.