[vtk-developers] PCoords Chart hovering axis labels?

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Thu Apr 15 10:38:11 EDT 2010

Hi Eric,

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 3:20 PM, Eric E. Monson <emonson at cs.duke.edu> wrote:

> Hey Marcus,
>
> Tomorrow I'll open bug reports / feature requests on these two recent
> issues and send you the links, just so you know where they are.

Sounds great - I will assign them to myself.

> For now, though, I was playing around with the PC chart in ParaView and had
> another idea that you might want to consider: Right now selections generate
> an ID list. When you're looking at a time-dependent data set, then, the red
> selection lines in the PC chart are animated along with the other views when
> you hit "play", showing how the quantities associated with these IDs change
> over time. Another useful option would be to keep the range of the original
> box(es) constant, which would generate a query-type selection, so you could
> monitor which points or cells exhibit that attribute range. Right now
> queries can't be chained, which would be necessary to correspond to a
> multi-axis selection in the PC chart, but I think Utkarsh said this is on
> the horizon. I don't know how exactly this would work since query-based
> selections seem to be a ParaView-only thing for now, but I think it would be
> a nice feature which would fit in well with the parallel coordinates
> paradigm.

Yes, I was wondering about the value of such selections. There are a lot of
possibilities, and for some of this the vtkSelection infrastructure may need
extending. I am hoping to have a chat with Utkarsh when he returns about
some of the issues/possibilities with selections in ParaView, along with how
far we can go right now.

> Oh, and thanks for implementing the PC array selection in the Display tab
> -- it's _much_ more useful now!

Yes, this was a very necessary feature. I think that some more API/interface
is needed to get things working just right. The opacity spin box can also be
very useful for adjusting line opacity/thickness for your data set.

Thanks,

Marcus