[vtk-developers] PCoords Chart hovering axis labels?

Eric E. Monson emonson at cs.duke.edu
Thu Apr 15 11:43:08 EDT 2010

Hey Marcus,

> Yes, I was wondering about the value of such selections. There are a lot of possibilities, and for some of this the vtkSelection infrastructure may need extending. I am hoping to have a chat with Utkarsh when he returns about some of the issues/possibilities with selections in ParaView, along with how far we can go right now.

This is something that I think really needs to be thought about a bit. You may or may not have seen a little rant I went on a few weeks ago regarding selections, but I feel it's one of the places that needs to be worked on as ParaView evolves into not just a data visualization tool, but a data probing / exploration tool. I keep meaning to get around to adding a section to the ParaView "Usability Improvements" wiki page on selections -- maybe in the next day or two.

Basically, I think the Sandia folks have moved VTK forward in a great direction with the Infovis stuff and Views, including the AnnotationLink and ViewUpdater, but it's not clear with ParaView and the normal pipeline execution (and the variety of applications and scales of data) how things like live selection updates could/should be handled.

If you get the chance, please keep me updated on any ideas that are bounced around.

Thanks,
-Eric