[vtk-developers] Slight change in behaviour to vtkCocoaRenderWindow API, bug 7818

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Mon Aug 10 10:04:06 EDT 2009

Hello vtk devs,

I would like to commit a fix for bug 7818:
<http://www.vtk.org/Bug/view.php?id=7818>

This patch is mostly for Mac Qt users.  Qt for Mac has changed its
implementation from Carbon to Cocoa for 64 bit compatibility.  VTK also
supports Carbon and Cocoa but unfortunately there is a mismatch between
the vtkCarbonRenderWindow and vtkCocoaRenderWindow that complicates
switching between the two.

The patch would alter the behaviour of 2 public APIs.  Is that
acceptable?  I know the ITK folks are strict about that but I'm hoping
VTK is more flexible.  Basically, vtkCocoaRenderWindow's Set/GetWindowId
and Set/GetDisplayId do not match all the other RenderWindow subclasses,
this would correct that.  I think most people don't use those APIs (with
the notable exceptions of Cocoa apps that use VTK views here and there,
instead of the app being completely based on VTK, ex: OsiriX).

Any objections?

Thanks,

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com