[vtk-developers] Slight change in behaviour to vtkCocoaRenderWindow API, bug 7818

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Fri Aug 14 13:03:27 EDT 2009

On 8/10/09 10:04 AM, Sean McBride said:

>I would like to commit a fix for bug 7818:
><http://www.vtk.org/Bug/view.php?id=7818>
>
>This patch is mostly for Mac Qt users.  Qt for Mac has changed its
>implementation from Carbon to Cocoa for 64 bit compatibility.  VTK also
>supports Carbon and Cocoa but unfortunately there is a mismatch between
>the vtkCarbonRenderWindow and vtkCocoaRenderWindow that complicates
>switching between the two.
>
>The patch would alter the behaviour of 2 public APIs.  Is that
>acceptable?  I know the ITK folks are strict about that but I'm hoping
>VTK is more flexible.  Basically, vtkCocoaRenderWindow's Set/GetWindowId
>and Set/GetDisplayId do not match all the other RenderWindow subclasses,
>this would correct that.  I think most people don't use those APIs (with
>the notable exceptions of Cocoa apps that use VTK views here and there,
>instead of the app being completely based on VTK, ex: OsiriX).
>
>Any objections?

With no objections, and several people in favour, I have committed this
change.

I did hit one problem, when trying to initially commit, cvs forbade me,
saying:

STL vtkstd Headers found in the following files:
  vtkJavaAwt.h

That file has "#include <vtkstd/map>" which I did not add; I changed an
unrelated part of the file.  I had to add "// STL Header" to get the
commit to pass.  The usage of STL in that file is limited by an #if
defined(WIN32_JAWT_LOCK_HACK) so I'm thinking my bypassing of the commit
check should be ok since it's already some kind of hack.

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com