[vtk-developers] vtkfreetype update

Sebastien BARRE sebastien.barre at kitware.com
Fri Jul 18 14:21:44 EDT 2008

At 7/18/2008 01:43 PM, David Cole wrote:
>Sean McBride has been investigating upgrading vtk's freetype to
>2.3.6 to include some security fixes in the freetype code.
>
>It's listed as this bug in the VTK bug tracker:
><http://public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=7199>http://public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=7199
>
>Is there somebody on this list who is a "VTK / text rendering /
>embedded fonts" expert that could have a quick discussion with one
>of the freetype devs about why some of the text rendering is
>different (and maybe "worse") than before upgrading to
><http://2.3.6.>2.3.6...? If so, reply to me and I'll connect you guys.
>
>Sean is holding off committing this bug fix to CVS HEAD until we
>make sure it's what we want to do.
>
>Does anybody have a strong opinion either way -- what's more important:
>
>   (1) getting the security fixes into VTK?
>       or
>   (2) maintaining pixel-perfect-fidelity of rendered text?

If it ain't broke, dont' fix it. Each time we update it, we risk of
losing any specific patch that was made for VTK (hopefully not that
many lately, usually only fixes to the freetype build process).

The bug entry is not clear about what the problem is with respect to VTK.
My gut feeling is that libs in Utilities/ should only be updated when
a major feature is needed, or a really big bug.