[vtk-developers] vtkfreetype update

David Cole david.cole at kitware.com
Fri Jul 18 13:43:40 EDT 2008

Sean McBride has been investigating upgrading vtk's freetype to 2.3.6 to
include some security fixes in the freetype code.

It's listed as this bug in the VTK bug tracker:

Is there somebody on this list who is a "VTK / text rendering / embedded
fonts" expert that could have a quick discussion with one of the freetype
devs about why some of the text rendering is different (and maybe "worse")
than before upgrading to 2.3.6...? If so, reply to me and I'll connect you
guys.

Sean is holding off committing this bug fix to CVS HEAD until we make sure
it's what we want to do.

Does anybody have a strong opinion either way -- what's more important:

  (1) getting the security fixes into VTK?
      or
  (2) maintaining pixel-perfect-fidelity of rendered text?

Thanks,
David Cole
Kitware, Inc.