[vtk-developers] vtkVectorText beyond ASCII - solution

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Tue Jan 8 15:17:08 EST 2008

On 1/8/08 12:36 AM, Michail Vidiassov said:

>Here it is:
>http://www.iaas.msu.ru/tmp/myVectorText.tgz
>
>vtkMyVectorText.cxx and .h contain the proposed vtkVectorText improvement.
>The arrays of font points, triangles and glyphs are in .tmp files,
>that are created by an external program.
>A couple of readme's can be found in the code folders.
>There are problems.
>  I do not understand what point size vtkVectorText is.
>  More generally:
>   how points glyphs are measured in are translated into
>   OpenGL and vtk units.
>  The text to render is assumed to be some correct text in UTF-8,
>   text locale can not be set and conversion errors are not checked for
>   (now, it is easy to add).

Michail,

I'm afraid I don't have much time to spend on this, but I did give your
code a fast look.  Nice work!  I don't know if you realise, but your
patch probably fixes a performance issue too:
<http://public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=5891>

I think assuming UTF-8 is reasonable because VTK already assumes ASCII,
and UTF-8 is a superset of ASCII.

Have you tried running VTK's tests with your new code?  Do they all pass?

PS: I'm moving this discussion to the vtk-developers list only, instead
of both lists.

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com