[vtk-developers] Re: vtkVectorText beyond ASCII - solution

Michail Vidiassov master at iaas.msu.ru
Tue Jan 8 19:28:39 EST 2008

Dear Sean,

On Tue, 8 Jan 2008, Sean McBride wrote:

> I think assuming UTF-8 is reasonable because VTK already assumes ASCII,
> and UTF-8 is a superset of ASCII.

Nice to hear, since (as a second thought) it is much easier to make
(re)encoding problems the problems of the end user.

> Have you tried running VTK's tests with your new code?  Do they all pass?

What tests? That tcl scripts that are listed as test for vtkVectorText?
No. As you know, I have not got to recompiling VTK yet.

On the other hand, my version is not a proper replacement for
vtkVectorText yet, since that point size problem is not solved yet.

What I really need is a speach from some developer on the state of labels
in VTK. Their current state implies that they are not heavily used (esp.
outside US/UK), since even in texture labels there are just a couple of old
fonts with poor glyph coverage (btw, that URW PS fonts have some
interesting derivatives, like free Gyre fonts with 1000+ glyphs).
Not to mention the lack of typesetting in labels.

Does the core VTK team have plans to improve labels or they are
just being kept in the as-is state for compatibility reasons?

         Sincerely, Michail