[vtk-developers] Re: [vtkusers] vtkVectorText beyond ASCII - solution

Michail Vidiassov master at iaas.msu.ru
Mon Jan 7 16:36:04 EST 2008

Dear All,

On Mon, 7 Jan 2008, Sean McBride wrote:

>> If anyone is interested I will put the code in minimal-decency state and
>> post it here/put it there too.
> I am interested.
Here it is:
http://www.iaas.msu.ru/tmp/myVectorText.tgz

vtkMyVectorText.cxx and .h contain the proposed vtkVectorText improvement.
The arrays of font points, triangles and glyphs are in .tmp files,
that are created by an external program.
A couple of readme's can be found in the code folders.
There are problems.
  I do not understand what point size vtkVectorText is.
  More generally:
   how points glyphs are measured in are translated into
   OpenGL and vtk units.
  The text to render is assumed to be some correct text in UTF-8,
   text locale can not be set and conversion errors are not checked for
   (now, it is easy to add).

Other issues are inherited from vtkVectorText -
all characters are stored in (now huge) static arrays,
no support for typesetting, even bold/italic.

BTW, is there any code around (not within) VTK
that does math typesetting?
Nothing fancy, just subscripts/superscripts, fractions, variable brackets?

         Sincerely, Michail