[vtk-developers] vtk slowness, how to overcome ?

shiva sitamraju shivaenigma at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 07:51:28 EDT 2008

Hi all,
What I want is once my polydata is rendered once, I want it to be rotated as
fast as opengl does a rotate.
So to check this, I wrote some code in OpenGLPolyDataMapper to keep on
rotating the display list using glRotatef() and found that it was much
faster than my renderWindow->render().
I understand that renderWindow->render() does lots of checks and the request
is forwarded down the pipeline but all this is not necessary for me because
I know that
my polydata and actor  have not changed.

So If someone can point me to the portion of code where
renderWindow->render() takes lots of time, I can somehow flag it or override
the method when i know that  my scene parameters (actor, polydata) have not
changed and I can just do a fast rotate.

Thanks
-Shiva