[vtk-developers] vtk slowness, how to overcome ?

Will Schroeder will.schroeder at kitware.com
Thu Aug 7 09:55:03 EDT 2008

The answer to this would fill a thick book :-) It fundamentally ties into
the trade off of flexibility versus performance, as well as our business
model since some of our customers pay us to address this question and tune
their applications.

Here are some places to start:
+ Set vtkMapper's Static flag
+ Play with vtkMapper's immediate mode rendering flag

If you are more ambitious:
+ Write your own custom mapper
+ Lots of time is spent resetting the camera clipping planes every render,
there are many ways to limit this.

There is a well known problem in VTK when thousands or tens of thousands of
actors are rendered. Again, tricks like using glyphs or custom mappers help.
Good luck!

2008/8/7 shiva sitamraju <shivaenigma at gmail.com>

> Hi all,
> What I want is once my polydata is rendered once, I want it to be rotated
> as fast as opengl does a rotate.
> So to check this, I wrote some code in OpenGLPolyDataMapper to keep on
> rotating the display list using glRotatef() and found that it was much
> faster than my renderWindow->render().
> I understand that renderWindow->render() does lots of checks and the
> request is forwarded down the pipeline but all this is not necessary for me
> because I know that
> my polydata and actor  have not changed.
>
> So If someone can point me to the portion of code where
> renderWindow->render() takes lots of time, I can somehow flag it or override
> the method when i know that  my scene parameters (actor, polydata) have not
> changed and I can just do a fast rotate.
>
> Thanks
> -Shiva

William J. Schroeder, PhD
Kitware, Inc.