[vtk-developers] VTK Shaders on volume property / GPU Volume Rendering

Wagner Sales wsales at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 11:20:13 EDT 2007

Hi all,

First of all, I'm interested in volume rendering by using GPU programming
techniques.
The Kitware Quaterly Newsletter/November 2006 contains some informations
about VTKShaders, and after a internet search, I was found the
VtkHWShaders.pdf, that's to me are the concepts to VTKShaders
implementation.
And, finally, looking at nightly source code documentation, I was found the
shaders support on vtkProperty, but not in vtkVolumeProperty. After that, I
have some questions:

1 - Are the mentioned ( and implemented ) aproach for vtkProperty,
documented in VtkHWShaders.pdf, a reasonably way to implement suport for
shaders and GPU Volume Rendering? This aproach requires to implement VTK
Shaders in vtkVolumeProperty, like was implemented in vtkProperty.

2 - If the answer are yes, how difficulties may be can encountered to a
developer that's will implement this?

3 - Are some good point of start to do this task?

4 -  Have some ongoing work about this?

5 - Some tips? Documentations?

I must appreciate any help from yours.

Thanks in advance,