[Fwd: RE: [vtk-developers] Re: vtkpython_pyc target dependencies - followup]

Utkarsh Ayachit utkarsh.ayachit at kitware.com
Fri Jul 29 10:09:50 EDT 2005

Forwarding to the list...

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	RE: [vtk-developers] Re: vtkpython_pyc target dependencies -
followup
Date: 	Fri, 29 Jul 2005 17:08:28 +1000
From: 	Andrew Maclean <a.maclean at cas.edu.au>
To: 	'Utkarsh Ayachit' <utkarsh.ayachit at gmail.com>

Guess what ... I found the problem (thanks to your comments below). I think
it was mismatched dlls. I suspect that it was picking up an older dll.

I use the INSTALL project to install all the VTK stuff into c:\Program
Files\VTK. I think it was picking up the old dlls in these directories (15
July) thus causing a conflict. I just renamed the bin and lib directories in
c:\Program Files\VTK and the install worked OK.

Actually ... while you are looking at Python - why do the dll's end up in
the lib directory and not the bin directory when doing the install?
I.e. they are ending up in C:\Program Files\VTK\lib\vtk; and not in
C:\Program Files\VTK\bin with the rest of the dlls.

Thanks again, Utkarsh - you put me on the right track.
Maybe I am then only person who uses INSTALL!

For your information:

1) Project dependencies are OK - it ultimately depends upon vtkCommon.

2) The first command "import vtk" works OK.
I have in my path: PATH=C:\Python24\;C:\Tcl\bin;C:\Perl\bin\; C:\Program
Files\VTK\bin;C:\vtk\build\VTKAndrew-build\bin\release;C:\Program
Files\ParaView\bin;...

And also defined:

PYTHONPATH=C:\Program Files\VTK\bin;C:\Program
Files\VTK\lib\vtk;C:\vtk\VTK\Wrapping\Python;C:\vtk\VTK\Wrapping\Python\vtk;
C:\vtk\build\VTKAndrew-build\bin\release
TCLLIBPATH="C:/Program Files/VTK/lib/vtk/tcl"  C:/vtk/VTKAndrew/Wrapping/Tcl

Andrew