[vtk-developers] VTK 5.0 Release status

Sander Niemeijer niemeijer at science-and-technology.nl
Fri Aug 12 06:18:59 EDT 2005

On vrijdag, aug 12, 2005, at 11:57 Europe/Amsterdam, John Biddiscombe
wrote:

>> - There is still an unsolved bug from me in the BugTracker system
>> about  'vtkPolyData + vtkCellData + multiple cell types'
>> <http://vtk.org/Bug/bug.php?op=show&bugid=564>. Fixing this will most
>>  probably cause some form of backward incompatibility. I am afraid
>> that  if it won't be tackled in VTK 5, it will have to wait again for
>> VTK  6.0, which means the bug will probably  remain open for several
>> more  years. ;-)
>
> But everyone knows that you must add cells in
> verts->lines->Polys->Strips order for cell ids to match.

Oh really, everyone should know this? Then tell me where this
requirement is mentioned in the documentation?
I now know this holds for 3D data (finding out the hard way), but it
wasn't 'common knowledge' for me back then I can tell you.

> You're adding them randomly. It's a feature that has always existed
> and whilst lots of possible fixes have been proposed, you are using
> the classes wrongly so it isn't a proper bug. More of an annoyance
>
> no?

Not if you use a scalar color lookup table with a vtkPolyDataMapper2D.
This has been discussed before:
<http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/vtkusers/2004-August/076030.html>

Best regards,
Sander