[vtk-developers] VTK 5.0 branch in mid-August

Will Schroeder will.schroeder at kitware.com
Tue Aug 2 09:20:23 EDT 2005

Bill-

Sorry for the delay, I'm at Siggraph preparing for the open-source
panel. It should be fun, there are guys from Digital Domain, ILM,
Dreamworks and Blender on the panel...I'm the token sci-viz guy I guess :-)

Ken reworked the pipeline pretty hard. From what I understand he got
the times down from 10x to something like 4x (vs VTK44) for thousands
of actors . He also added the ability to turn off updates altogether
on the mapper. When this is done, VTK5.0 is something like 33% faster
than VTK44. While not perfect, I think the lack of a recent release
is more of a problem at this point than the pipeline issues.

Will