[vtk-developers] VTK containers are gone; long live VTK containers

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Tue Jan 7 21:18:28 EST 2003

    KM> This was an ongoing decision that had to be made before the
    KM> release. If VTK 4.2 included Andy's containers then we would
    KM> have to support them for all future versions of VTK. The
    KM> driver was not so much addition of STL as do we remove Andy's
    KM> containers prior to release.

Yes, but it is a last minute change nonetheless and a pretty big
change at that.  This deal of using STL has been going on for a long
time.  I myself argued for STL way back in Dec. 2001 (perhaps even
earlier).  However, moving to STL suddenly without *any* prior
discussion on the mailing list before a release is certainly
surprising.

[snip]

    KM> You are talking about adding a new class which is a different
    KM> situation and hopefully not a double standard. You are
    KM> handling the gl2ps issue correctly and doing a good job of
    KM> communicating on it.

Ok.  Thanks.  I'll hold off till VTK 4.2 is released then.

Also, I think we'd all appreciate if you can give us a rough idea of
what the release plan is like.  A rough time schedule will do.  Then
we'd know what is coming up and I would know when I can commit the new
class.

cheers,
prabhu