[vtk-developers] Nice and thoughts...

Will Schroeder will.schroeder at kitware.com
Fri Sep 6 07:03:33 EDT 2002

Hi David-

Nice addition that you and Leila Baghdadi contributed (the vtkMeshQuality
class). I have one comment: the in-sphere computation should be added to
vtkTetra just like the Circumsphere method:

   // Compute the circumcenter (center[3]) and radius (method return value) of
   // a tetrahedron defined by the four points x1, x2, x3, and x4.
   static double Circumsphere(double  p1[3], double p2[3], double p3[3],
                              double p4[3], double center[3]);

This way we can use the Insphere() calculation for other things....for
example, the Delaunay3D related methods could benefit from it. Another
thought, for the sake of completeness, a vtkTriangle::Incircle() method
would be nice.

I guess I have one other question: there are a half-dozen or so measures of
tetrahedral quality ranging from the circumsphere/insphere ratio to surface
area/volume ratio to max angle/min angle ratio, etc. You implemented the
circum/insphere ratio...I was wondering if you guys thought about adding a
mode (e.g., SetQualityModeTo.....) and allowing the user to select one.
Another option is to just output different scalar fields corresponding to
the different quality measures. Thoughts?

Will