[vtk-developers] Re: Nice and thoughts...

David Gobbi dgobbi at imaging.robarts.ca
Fri Sep 6 10:00:10 EDT 2002

On Fri, 6 Sep 2002, Will Schroeder wrote:

> Hi David-
>
> Nice addition that you and Leila Baghdadi contributed (the vtkMeshQuality
> class). I have one comment: the in-sphere computation should be added to
> vtkTetra just like the Circumsphere method:

Yes, those were my thoughts and hers too.  It will be done ASAP.

> I guess I have one other question: there are a half-dozen or so measures of
> tetrahedral quality ranging from the circumsphere/insphere ratio to surface
> area/volume ratio to max angle/min angle ratio, etc. You implemented the
> circum/insphere ratio...I was wondering if you guys thought about adding a
> mode (e.g., SetQualityModeTo.....) and allowing the user to select one.

That will have to wait.  Leila was the first student at our labs to use
VTK for FEM, but she's defending and leaving this month.  I myself don't
do any FEM work.  Hopefully someone will pick up where she left off,
she also wrote some nice code for improving mesh quality that her
supervisor might eventually agree to release.

> Another option is to just output different scalar fields corresponding to
> the different quality measures. Thoughts?

This is also a good idea.  The class was originally written for VTK 3.2.

 - David