[vtk-developers] Re: [vtkusers] Modifications to vtkOpenGLPolyDataMapper.cxx vtkOpenGLProperty.cxx

John Biddiscombe jbiddiscombe at skippingmouse.co.uk
Tue Oct 29 21:41:35 EST 2002

Goodwin, + CC'ing this to the developers list.

Yes. The pixel differences for wireframe are clear if you have a look at the
test images and the new ones just generated with your code. In the
regression test images, backface wireframes appear black, in yours, you can
see the shading coming through from behind. I think it looks better. The
graphics/capcow.tcl shows it most clearly and is one of the worse
(wireframe) failures.

Just thought... the pixel differences would be caused
by point no. 1 below; possibly the facet problem too- backfaces in surface
representation aren't rendered black by default too.
<<

This would be my first guess, but I can't see why (for example in
graphics/eleState.tcl which fails the test too) some of the polygons would
be back facing. The polygons are read from a file of state outlines and then
extruded and capped and rendered. For some to be black on the edges would
require a very odd polygon at source. (Mind you I do remember some failing
when I was playing with seidel triangulation code because they were
clockwise oriented instead of anticlockwise - I'll check)

If anyone has any thoughts...

JB
[I'll try to post link to dashboard results tomorrow.]