[vtk-developers] VTK ARB

Ken Martin ken.martin at kitware.com
Tue Nov 12 10:54:41 EST 2002

Hello Folks,

As we are getting closer to VTK 4.2 I'm realizing that it may be best to
have some more formality in introducing changes to VTK.  I'm not sure
what the right approach is but here is one idea I want to throw out.

1)       Create an architecture review board (ARB) for VTK that consists
of say 7 members from the VTK community. Some of these seats can be
rotating so that a wide number of people get an opportunity to serve.

2)       If you wish to make a significant change to VTK (and you want
to make sure that it will be in the next release), submit a description
of the change to the ARB for comment/approval by some percentage
(2/3rds, 50%?)

3)       If you are making a minor bug fix don't bother the ARB

One concern I have with the above is that it adds some bureaucracy to
VTK. Another concern I have is the approach in item 2. Should the
parenthetical clause be part of the statement or not? If it is part of
the statement, it allows people to make changes to VTK that get into the
release without approval. But there is no guarantee that they will not
be removed during the release cycle.

Comments?

Thanks

Ken