[vtk-developers] The VTK Textbook "The Visualization Toolkit" status..

Will Schroeder will.schroeder at kitware.com
Tue Nov 12 07:38:30 EST 2002

Hello Folks-

This is an update regarding the textbook "The Visualization Toolkit An
Object-Oriented Approach to 3D Graphics" previously published by Prentice-Hall.

Kitware has obtained the rights to the text and will be the new publisher.
We are currently rewriting the text to be consistent with VTK version 4.2
(to be released in December). In addition, this text will be designed to be
a companion to the "The VTK Users Guide" which Kitware also publishes. The
textbook will be full color throughout and hardbound at a reasonable price
point, approximately 500 pages in length. (Humorous note: the text is
currently selling at $159.52 on Amazon because it is out of print. This is
not considered a reasonable price point :-)

The text will arrive at the printer the first week of December. We
anticipate that it will be ready for shipping by the end of December.
Initially we will sell the text through Kitware's estore; eventually we
will also sell the text through Amazon.com. For you folks who need the text
as soon as possible, watch Kitware's estore at
http://store.yahoo.com/kitware/index.html. I will also announce the
availability of the book for purchase on these lists once the final pricing
and ISBN are set.

Will